Pages

Friday, November 2, 2012

Halloween 2012

Halloween this year almost didn't happen for many reasons: the hurricane, forecasted rain, and a sick Addie whom I had to pick up early from Mike's work after he had to pick her up early from school.

But the weather and Addie rallied and apparently there was no stopping trick or treating from happening.




An hour before leaving (while Addie was sleeping-post ibuprophen) I made the following video:

We watched this video over and over and she cracked herself up every time. Then we actually went trick or treating. And I realized too late that there was one key error in her thinking that I probably should have corrected earlier on. After getting candy at each house, she wanted to eat each piece of candy right then. I didn't put two and two together at first and kept trying to tell her that she had to wait until trick or treating was all finished, but this just made her more upset. Slowly it dawned on me that this was how she thought it worked, she had explained it to me very clearly just hours before! When we told her again that she couldn't eat her candy until we went home. She declared that she was "all done" trick or treating and ready to go home. Oh boy.

Addie, meanwhile, woke up from her nap right as rain saying that she was all better now. She seemed to not really remember that just hours before she had been crying in the car because she was in so much pain.  I knew that she was really sick because she had missed her school's halloween party that she'd been so looking forward to. But since she seemed much better, I didn't have the heart to tell her that she couldn't go trick or treating.

She was literally running from house to house with her neighbor friends as if nothing had ever been wrong with her health in her life. After each house she was ecstatic with her new loot and declared that it was time to go to "more houses!" I finally had to tell her that we were only going to 4 more before going home. I knew that this amped up mood was an artificial combination of the ibuprofen and pure adrenaline.  Sure enough when we got home she melted down. Her headache was back and she felt sick again. I questioned the wiseness of us allowing her to trick or treat, thinking that it might have set her back even more, but I think she would tell you that it was worth it.

Calla, as you can tell, dressed up as Winnie-the-Pooh. Addie, as you probably can't tell, dressed up as Princess Celestia a My Little Pony Unicorn. I was pretty pleased with the costume I put together for her, but she definitely had to deal with a lot of "Oh...and who are you?? !




Our solution to avoiding the ringing of the doorbell after putting the girls to bed


No comments:

Post a Comment

Save Handmade Toys