Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Good Bye Blue J

Yesterday we had to say good-bye to our beta fish "Blue J". Addie first got him from a coworker of Mike's about 2 years ago. Normally Beta fish only live about a year, but this one I think lived an especially good life.

In Mike's words, this is what happened: "Today BlueJay-a noble and ancient beta fish- passed away after a water change. Although he was old, cold water was probably a contributing factor. Addie is devastated and assigned Dad to a time out for killing her fish."

So perhaps he could have lived even longer...but alas he did not. I'm actually surprised he didn't succumb a year ago to an overly curious toddler or 5 months ago to a crazy kitten.

Addie, after crying for awhile and ordering Mike to a time out, asked if she could keep Blue J's body in a bag in her room. We convinced her that that would be a really bad idea for many reasons. She also asked if we were going to cook him and eat him or feed him to Penelope. I think she thought that those were acceptable solutions. However, my suggestion of possibly putting him in the toilet and sending him on an adventure to the sewer, was met with shear horror...WHAT?? In the toilet?!

So after dinner, Addie scooped up Blue J's body from the fish bowl (she really wanted to touch him) and placed him in a bag. She sang him a private little song that I really wish I'd been able to hear all of the words to. Then we bundled up and walked out to the backyard with headlamps to bury him under some leaves. Everyone said good-bye to him and then we headed back in.

Good bye little blue buddy. You were a beautiful fish.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Save Handmade Toys