Pages

Friday, December 28, 2012

Women's Suffrage

Addie wanted to check this book out of the library a month ago: "I Could Do That! Esther Morris Gets Women the Vote"


It looked a bit old for her, but she loves reading very long books with us and we've talked about more advanced topics than women's suffrage before, so we brought it home and gave it a try.

I read Addie the beginning of this book, probably aimed at a 7 or 8 year old, and Mike read the second half. When I came back to the living-room after putting Calla to bed, I asked Addie what she thought of the it.

She said she liked it and that it made her want to be so good at sewing. She said, "I want to make a beautiful swirly dress. And try to sew metal together to make a tiara glittery and shiny. And a pink glittering ring. AND some golden metal shoes with high heels. And I want pink silk light tights. And that's it. I want to learn how to sew because she knew how to sew and I want the other things because my wish is to be a princess."

So there you have it....read a book about women's suffrage to a 5 year old fairy princess wanna-be and the take home message is "Sewing is awesome!" Which it is. But then again so is voting. We'll try reading this again in a couple years and see what changes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Save Handmade Toys