This year for her birthday party, Addie first wanted to have a "Little Mermaid" party and she wanted to invite all her friends and have them dress like mermaids. She said all she was going to wear was a mermaid tail and some "shells on her chest". I said that I thought we might need to rethink the outfit a bit. A couple weeks later she changed her mind and decided that she wanted "a Pony Party". I started looking up places that maybe we could go to ride on ponies, but Addie made it clear that she didn't want to "ride" ponies, she just wanted her friends to dress up like ponies. She would tell each friend what they needed to wear and everyone would come as a pony.
But a couple weeks later after giving her choices of possible party venues, she decided on a party at her dance studio. Which ended up being perfect. I was a little uncomfortable with the fact that she only wanted to invite the friends of hers that are girls, but thought she had a great idea to invite 5 friends "because she's 5". I guess at some point a parent stops deciding on the child's party guest list, I just hadn't really thought about that yet. It wasn't so much that she invited children that I wouldn't have, because they were all the daughters of my friends too, it was more that she didn't invite some children who had always come to her parties before. But it was her party and she's 5 and at some point I need to get used to the fact that I will be increasingly less involved in her party decisions as the years go on!
The party was a great success and all the girls had a blast during the private dance class with Addie's teacher Meaghan. Afterwards they enjoyed snacks and cake (which I forgot to take a photo of), presents, and some more dancing. It was perfect. It was small. It was full of dancing and princessy birthday music. And everyone had a good time. Great party planning Addie :)
In keeping of traditions....here are some of Addie's current likes and dislikes:
Addie likes:
Fairies, princesses, dancing, music, writing screenplays-making sets-and directing elaborate plays full of many costume changes, telling her sister Calla what to do and what not to do, playing with new kitten Penelope, drawing, saving everything and finding new uses for things that would be otherwise discarded, building an awesome Lego house (gift from Bubbie), reading, singing, caring for everyone and everything in the world with such incredible empathy.
Addie dislikes:
Mixing foods together, falling asleep when she's thinking about past bad dreams, Calla taunting her, Calla wrecking her stuff, having her hair brushed in the bath, when mom forgets her dance shoes for dance class, having to go grocery shopping (unless she can get a free cookie), getting growing pains or leg cramps, mean people, finding litter on the ground, throwing anything away that could be reused or upcycled, having to leave her classroom if there is a story being read or an activity about to start.
Addie is such an old soul in such a young body. She is wise beyond her years and I am frequently flabbergasted at the depth of the things she says, creates, and ponders. Next fall she will begin kindergarten and while I am not quite sure where the years went, I know that she is so incredibly ready for this new adventure.
Happy 5th Birthday Adeline Lillie!







No comments:
Post a Comment