Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Nursing's End

Yes, that time has come. Actually way way later than I thought it would. I had been thinking that Calla would want to wean shortly after her birthday, but she didn't and we kept on trucking because it had gotten to the point of being easy. But at 20 months, it was time for me to end that phase of our relationship. Later I'll post about how we went about the gradual Mommy led-weaning. I was going to post Calla's breastfeeding saga here (I wrote it back when Calla was 6 weeks old and never posted it) but I again feel like it is WAY too long.

If you know of any new mothers who might benefit from reading another Mom's trials and tribulations with nursing let me know and I could pass on the doc. 

I struggled with thrush, cracks, fear that Calla wasn't eating enough, over-production, latch issues, etc. I stuck it out because I'm stubborn and possibly crazy. But at 6 weeks we finally got things sorted out and it was smooth sailing ever since. But it was NOT easy. It seemed like an eternity at the time, however, looking back now I can't believe that it was only 6 weeks.

There were many times during those 6 weeks that I almost threw in the towel. And that would have been ok. Addie was formula fed from 5 months on and she's a pretty smart cookie. I knew that Calla would be fine too.

Every Mom has to figure out for themselves what the best thing is for them. If nursing is painful and stressful and making someone insane....it's NOT worth it. I had that epiphany with Addie at 4 months when she was crying in the bouncy seat and I couldn't hold her because I was crying while attached to the pump, trying desperately to give her only breastmilk (because I'd heard it was best and I had a friend who pumped exclusively for a whole year....I should be able to do that too, right?!)
Ahhh...the shoulds.

I decided then and there that we would be better off snuggling and drinking formula. And we were.

But with my second child, I really wanted to have the experience of nursing. So my determination to succeed was enormous. We did succeed and I am blessed to be able to say that I have experienced the true joy that the nursing experience can bring.

But if I had not been able to keep trying, if the issues had not gotten sorted out and if I had been too tired to make it worthwhile...I would still be the mother that I am with a smart, beautiful, hilarious daughter.  Nursing (when it works) is like a really delicious frosting on a well-made cake. It is a beautiful thing, but if it is not there...the cake is still just as good.



2 comments:

  1. You know the research linking breastfeeding to so many stated benefits is likely very overblown (just read a super article on it, actually), and while I think there are many, many great benefits - both in terms of nutrition and bonding - the mummy matters, too! Good for you for getting through such a difficult 6 weeks while caring for a toddler, too.

    Raf has not yet fully weaned - and he just turned three! But I never had any real problems with nursing, just the hard work of it all, especially in the early days, weeks, and months. I am very pro-breastfeeding but the truth is that it IS hard work, it is intense, and there can be many problems. It was totally worth it for us, but, phew, hard work!

    ReplyDelete

Save Handmade Toys