So today we bought a used beach sun tent from someone on Craigslist. It looks like a really nice one and we got it pretty cheaply. Addie was so excited about it that we set it up in the livingroom to eat lunch in (it was raining outside). We were all having a great time eating in our tent (I was trying to ignore the slight mildewy smell), Addie was rolling all around and giggling on the tear resistant tarp and then I noticed.......blue specks ALL over her. The tarp was disintegrating and the blue plastic was attaching itself to everything. We put a beach towel down over the tarp and continued to try to enjoy lunch, but I was thoroughly distracted and disgusted by the plastic that was quickly turning my daughter into a smurf.
At this point my rampage against the "blue" began and I embarrassingly melted into a neurotic, blabbering, crying mess (Note: this was the last straw in a long line of times I have tried to accomplish things and then had them not work out/be too expensive/be a complete waste of time, etc. And.....I'm pregnant, which should really be a good enough excuse all on it's own ;) )
I cleaned Addie off as best I could with a wash cloth, noticed blue all over my arms and feet and cleaned myself off too. When Addie was napping, I put the tent away in the basement (to wait for a nice sunny day when I can spray it down and let it air dry). My mood improved as I helped Mike in the basement with our floor re-tiling project. All seemed to be ok.
Then Addie woke up from her nap and came out into the livingroom to have her snack. While sitting on the couch with her I noticed.....Blue.....all over the bottoms of her feet. The blue flecks were ALL over our floor where the tent had been and every time we walked across the floor (despite me sweeping) we got covered in it. The afternoon was filled with frustrating cries of "THERE'S BLUE EVERYWHERE!", wiping the floor with wet clothes and freaking out like a mad woman. Then I banished myself to the bedroom for awhile after Addie told me that I just needed to take some deep breaths.
What is the lesson here? Only open beach tents where they are meant to be opened....on the beach?
Don't buy used tents from strangers while pregnant? I don't have a clue. But I now have a extreme dislike for the color blue.
Here's a photo of the tent insert, in case any of my 4 readers have had any experience with this kind of tear resistant surface.
Saturday, July 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment