Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

1 year old!

   
October 16, 2010
October 16, 2011














It is beyond me where the last year went. I am feeling such a mixture of joy and melancholy and disbelief. I do not remember feeling this way when Addie turned one (joy: yes  melancholy: no) I think it was because I knew that we would be having another child. But Calla is our last, and therefore every new step, milestone, etc is also a last. I remember hearing moms speak of this melancholy feeling and I didn't get it AT ALL. Until recently.
  

Calla is an incredible baby almost toddler. She is very opinionated and verbal. She "talks" and babbles a lot and is actually saying "Addie", "Apple", "Moah" (More), and "Mama".  She can also make the signs for "milk", "more", and "happy" (which are nice things to be able to communicate!)


She likes: books, music, her sister, cell phones, cordless phones, buttons, food, cups of water, taking baths, nursing, playing the keyboard, being scared (we say "Boo!"...then she'll laugh and say "Be!"), climbing up onto chairs/tables/bed, crawling up stairs, riding in the backpack carrier, walking holding onto hands.

She doesn't like: having something taken away from her, having her face wiped off, getting her nose blown, having to lay still on her back to get her diaper changed (if she's not holding a book or something else exciting).

This is the last in a series of weekly almost weekly journal entries that I wrote for Calla throughout the pregnancy and her first year:

Happy 1st Birthday!
Calla Doodle, I cannot believe that you turned 1 yesterday. This last year went by so fast and in the blink of an eye you went from a tiny baby who needed me for everything to an almost walking, self-feeding, independent and funny almost toddler. 
You are lying in my arms nursing right now before your morning nap. You are so beautiful and peaceful. You're gently stroking my chest with your hand, your eyes closed. Even though you've been up at least 3 times a night recently to nurse (because of a cold and teething), I am feeling this melancholy feeling and know how much I will miss nursing when you decide you are finished. 
We had a big party for you yesterday and so many friends, family and neighbors came. You seemed a bit overwhelmed but did great with all of the noise and commotion. 
I know that there are only better times to come and adventures that we can share together, but being that you are my last baby I am feeling a bit sad that the baby days are almost over. I hope that you always continue to be snuggly, lovey and so excited to see me, but since you are also going to grow up...I know that those things will probably change. What I hope you always remember, no matter how old you are, is how very much I love you and that I am so proud of who you are. 
Love, Mom








No comments:

Post a Comment

Save Handmade Toys